Things I'm Afraid to Tell You

I've been a longtime follower of Becca's blog, Cake., back when it called Birthday Girl. After reading her candid post titled "Things I'm Afraid to Tell You" this morning, I couldn't get it off my mind.


As a mom of two with a demanding full-time job, it has been a struggle trying to juggle everything and still have time to pursue my passions. I'm embarrassed to admit that blogging and party planning have at times consumed my life. All of the posts, social networking, submissions, and self-promotions have really taken a toll on my family life and personal well-being. And frankly, I'm not a pleasant person to be around when I'm stressed out -- just ask my husband.

There's been numerous occasions when I've contemplated calling it quits. Even when my blog was undergoing a total redesign, I had doubts about whether to continue. This year, I've made a conscious effort to cut back on the posts, photo shoots and parties, and focus more on what I truly enjoy -- tutorials.

I need to stop obsessing over blog and Facebook statistics. It's like getting on the scale every morning.

I feel pressured to have a perfectly styled dessert table at every event. Sure, all of the coordinating gumballs, decorated cookies, rock candy and macarons look gorgeous for the pictures, but it's really not my thing. I'm so over the dessert table trend. OK, I've said it. I may never be featured on another top party site ever again, but so what?!

Thanks, Becca for giving me the courage to let it all out. What things are you afraid to tell your readers?

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for bein' brave, Christine! Keeping your priorities in check is so hard. Love that your passion is tutorials and that's what you want to focus on...'cuz I love them! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 Thank you for the awesome post. Seriously touching to see you & Cake having the courage to tell us! I feel you on the dessert table trend and perfectly styled photos! Love your tutorials and your work. Ditto - Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, this is the second post that I have read today with this. Party peeps are in agreement and over trying to keep up in the rat race. Getting back to basics and what truly made us follow our passion!

    Ebony
    Sparkling Events & Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care, Christine and do what's right for you. My hubs and I had this very conversation today. Family first, and then, hopefully, business success in the time available with the budget available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't stepped on a scale since my son was born, so why should I let blogging dictate my life as if I were measuring myself every day? The craft blogs I follow don't have this challenge going, but I very much appreciate it. I don't want to miss my son growing up because I'm trying to attract more followers! Thanks for this post and for sharing the post at Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be surprised to know that you're not alone! Love your tutorials so I welcome it!! ;)

    prioritizing is hard and we all struggle, so thanks for inspiring us too!

    XOXO
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post! Love that scaling things back and creating parties that kids love, not just for photo shoots is becoming the new "trend"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a strong trend in blogging right now. Everyone is starting to cut back on blogging - finally realizing the stress and toll it can make on a person. I love reading blogs, like many, but I can't imagine the work and planning that goes into making a successful one. I applaud you on being brave to admit these things. No one can fault you if you decide to cut back and spend more time with family! You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was nice to read this especially on a day when I thought to myself, "I have a masters in education and considered myself a darn good teacher.. why on earth am I trying to keep up with these party people?"
    I still am not convinced this rat race is for me but I do love the creativity, the true cheerleaders I have met and the feeling of success from building this little dream all on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for your honesty, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christine!
    Thanks so much for your honesty! You are definitely not alone. My husband and I are having this conversation ... he is starting to travel overseas even more and doing events on the weekends are becoming even harder. Family should come first. Love ya Girl! Hope to see you soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! It takes courage to understand this and then change this. I admit I have been there before too, I didn't realise it at the time but looking back you see it. Why is it sometimes we never see it till it can consume us? It is no fun when we feel this way and you start to wonder what the heck you are doing?! Be nice to yourself, look at what you have achieved, how far you've come and say "WELL DONE!" I think it is so easy to put pressure on ourselves, the expectations of ourselves can be like a big heavy weight on our shoulders. I ran an online store for years and I poured my heart and soul into it, along with plenty of money too! It wasn't until I stepped away from it that I realised what I had actually achieved, what I should have been proud of all along and what I should have not been beating myself up over.
    I have tried not to fall into this pattern again but it is sometimes hard. You want to be the best you can be and if you put too much pressure on yourself it just paralyzes you. Enjoy the things that make you happy and forget the rest! This is so awesome of me giving you this advice lol if you see me doing anything similar can you swiftly slap me and remind me of what I've just said to you! haha. Happy 2nd Birthday and don't forget to celebrate! Lots of love from Australia xx

    ReplyDelete

Next previous home