For Camden's construction theme birthday party, I made tool belts with three compartments to hold pretend hammers, wrenches, and pliers. They're not just great for carrying tools. The kids use them to lug Legos, crayons, and little cars.
To construct a tool belt for your little builder, all you'll need is some fabric and ribbon.
1. Cut fabric into two 13 3/4" W x 14 3/4" H pieces.
2. Cut two 18" long pieces of ribbon.
3. Pin ribbon 3/4" from the top edge of the left and right sides of the printed fabric.
4. Place the solid fabric, front side down, over the printed fabric, and then pin together.
5. Sew along the edges using a 1/4" seam allowance. Be sure to sew over the ribbon at least twice and leave about a 4" gap at the top.
6. Turn the fabric inside out.
7. With the solid side facing up, fold the bottom over until it's 3 1/4" from the top.
8. To make the different compartments, sew along the left and right edges. Then sew another line down the middle and one 3 1/8" from the right.
9. Finally, hand stitch the opening along the top.